[OpenStack-Infra] Please turn off verification voting for Big Switch CI

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Sat Jan 18 07:14:11 UTC 2014

Excerpts from Mohammad Banikazemi's message of 2014-01-17 14:18:17 -0800:

> Thanks Sumit.
>
> I did not particularly care about the vote on my patch as the patch has a
> -2 vote already (until we have our own 3rd party testing set up). I got
> worried that other patches will receive the -1 and people all over will get
> blocked. So that's why I got alarmed.
>
> There is one other point I would like to make: A 3rd party test shouldn't
> be triggered on patches to a different plugin. Does that make sense?
>
> Here is an excerpt From [1]  under Testing Requirements:
>
> The Neutron team expects that the third party testing will provide a +/-1
> verify vote for all changes to a plugin or driver’s code. In addition, the
> Neutron team expects that the third party test will also vote on all code
> submissions by the jenkins user.
>

> The above should be perhaps modified to indicate the no -1 vote policy but
> beyond that it says that essentially the 3rd party test needs to be done on
> the corresponding plugin (and the Jenkins submissions).

As a concerned developer and user, allow me to register my dissent with
this position.

We don't have asymmetrical gates in OpenStack. If you're going to be
in the gate, you're in the gate for _every_ change. Plugins _should_ be
isolated, but if they're not, we may not find that unless we test _all_
changes with the plugin's integration tests.

IMO, we should hold 3rd parties to a standard where if they're going to
be in the gate, they're reliable enough to do -1. Otherwise what is the
point of their +1's?

I do acknowledge that I didn't get a bunch of patches -1'd and thus I
may not understand the full impact of this situation.