[OpenStack-Infra] [Openstack-docs] How to openstack-doc-tools in gate jobs for openstack-manuals etc

Clark Boylan clark.boylan at gmail.com
Mon Dec 9 20:30:29 UTC 2013

On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 11:51 AM, Andreas Jaeger <aj at suse.com> wrote:
> The OpenStack docu team now has a repository called
> openstack-doc-tools for their automation tools and gate tests.
>
> I'd like to get some advise on how to use the tool for working with
> the various repositories we have.
>
> Does the infra team has any recommendation on how to move forward?
>
> For building documentation with Jenkins, I see two options:
>
> Option 1: Have Jenkins checkout the openstack-doc-tools repository
>           every time and use that for building - similar to the
>           "devstack-checkout" job.
>
>           This would mean that directly after every change done in
>           openstack-doc-tools, the tools are used for checking of all
>           gated repositories.
>
> Option 2: Copy the tools and all support files to each and every
>           repository. We could automate that.
>
> Moving forward, I'd like to have all our repositories (api-site,
> compute-api, identity-api, image-api, netconn-api, object-api,
> volume-api, operations-guide, openstack-manuals) use proper gates,
> thus extend "test.py" so that it can be used in more places. Note that
> the $service-api repos will be moved to $project/doc/source - we then
> should gate on those.
>
> Right now only operations-guide and openstack-manuals are gated - but
> operations-guide uses an old version of the tools.
>
> So, I want to move forward with these steps:
> 1) Properly setup openstack-doc-tools project, there are some open
>    reviews that need to go in.
> 2) Use openstack-doc-tools in openstack-manuals and operations-guide
> 3) Use openstack-doc-tools for gating of api-site
> 4) Use openstack-doc-tools for gating of $service api repos
>
> --
>  Andreas Jaeger aj@{suse.com,opensuse.org} Twitter/Identica: jaegerandi
>   SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany
>    GF: Jeff Hawn,Jennifer Guild,Felix Imendörffer,HRB16746 (AG Nürnberg)
>     GPG fingerprint = 93A3 365E CE47 B889 DF7F  FED1 389A 563C C272 A126

I have removed the cross post to openstack-docs as I think this is an
infra discussion.

Option 2 is something that should be avoided. The file copying with
oslo is problematic for many reasons and I don't think we get any of
the benefits from that process with the doc tools (we don't have to
worry about internal code APIs). Option 1 is a possibility.

There are also at least two more options that I think we should consider:
Option 3: Make doc-tools an installable package that the jenkins jobs
can install as a dependency (similar to any of the python dependencies
in the various projects).
Option 4: Install doc-tools globally on the test slaves with puppet
and manage the install with puppet. Then the doc jobs can just assume
the doc-tools are present and use them.

I am a fan of option 3 myself. It fits into the way we deal with most
other job dependencies and makes it easy for folks at home to do that
same.

Once this is sorted out the four steps above should be able to move
forward without infra interaction. The docs jobs would simply be
updated as appropriate.

Clark