[OpenStack-Infra] How to openstack-doc-tools in gate jobs for openstack-manuals etc

Andreas Jaeger aj at suse.com
Mon Dec 9 19:51:43 UTC 2013

The OpenStack docu team now has a repository called
openstack-doc-tools for their automation tools and gate tests.

I'd like to get some advise on how to use the tool for working with
the various repositories we have.

Does the infra team has any recommendation on how to move forward?

For building documentation with Jenkins, I see two options:

Option 1: Have Jenkins checkout the openstack-doc-tools repository
	  every time and use that for building - similar to the
	  "devstack-checkout" job.

	  This would mean that directly after every change done in
	  openstack-doc-tools, the tools are used for checking of all
	  gated repositories.

Option 2: Copy the tools and all support files to each and every
          repository. We could automate that.

Moving forward, I'd like to have all our repositories (api-site,
compute-api, identity-api, image-api, netconn-api, object-api,
volume-api, operations-guide, openstack-manuals) use proper gates,
thus extend "test.py" so that it can be used in more places. Note that
the $service-api repos will be moved to $project/doc/source - we then
should gate on those.

Right now only operations-guide and openstack-manuals are gated - but
operations-guide uses an old version of the tools.

So, I want to move forward with these steps:
1) Properly setup openstack-doc-tools project, there are some open
   reviews that need to go in.
2) Use openstack-doc-tools in openstack-manuals and operations-guide
3) Use openstack-doc-tools for gating of api-site
4) Use openstack-doc-tools for gating of $service api repos