[Openstack-i18n] To language team coordinators: get ready for Mitaka translation

Akihiro Motoki amotoki at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 18:24:08 UTC 2016

Thanks Daisy for initiating this.

> Dear coordinators,
>
> Mitaka translation will be started at the beginning of March,
> and probably ended in the week of March 28.
> We need to get ourselves ready for Mitaka translation from now on.
>
> Because of the join of IBM professional translators, we will be able to
> cover more projects in our translation plan of this release.
> Generally, the jobs of existing community translators will not be affected,
> focus on Horizon, same as before.
> IBM translators will focus on "other" projects.
>
> Before Mitaka translation starts, there are several things you can do:
>
> 1. Update glossary.
>
> If you don't have glossary translations in i18n repo[1], or you want to
> update
> glossary translations, you can send a patch with your translations or your
> updates
> to i18n repo directly.

I would like to raise a question how the glossary work? Is it actually working?

As one of coordinators of Japanese team, the glossary list itself is
out-of-date.
In addition to update per-language glossary, can we update a list of
glossary itself?

Beyond this, the current format of PO file for the glossary lacks an
essential feature
as I described before. There is no way to describe the context.
I wonder how the glossary help translations without the contextual information.
As a result, Japanese team is forced to describe contextual
information in translated strings.
This is the reason we preferred to Wiki style glossary.

>From the above observation, does it sound a good option
to clear the whole entry of Zanata glossary of a specific language?

> 2. Document your local team communication method in the team wiki page[2].
>
> While Mitaka translation starts, it's good to open your local communication
> channel to
> all of your language translators. Good communication is quite important for
> people from
> different places to work well together.

I missed the previous team meeting (it is not special to me due to the
meeting time).
I would like to make some follow-up comments on a local communication.

I personally would like to continue to use Gitter (hosted by Github)
as a communication
channel in Japanese team. From my past experience, it has various good merits.
I felt the first point is really useful in the crunch time of Liberty
translation reviews.

* Pros:
  * it has a notification mechanism. Unread messages will be notified via email.
  * It can be used via browser (without any extra application)
  * Unlimited archive as long as gitter room is open to everyone
* Cons
  * it is not provided by OpenStack infra

Kato-san and Japanese team members, feel free to comment it.
Your feedbacks would be really appreciated.

> 3. Join IRC channel[3] #openstack-i18n with your zanata ID
>
> As a coordinator, you have the responsibility to coordinate your language
> translations.
> A good practise is to show up in IRC and have your people to get you easily
> when they have troubles.

"with Zanata ID"? It is just an option. It is not a requirement.
It is not a surprising thing someone uses an IRC nickname different
from Zanata ID.

Note that it is important we need to know each other who you are
but it is not a requirement to use Zanata ID as IRC nickname
if you already use a different IRC nick.

> If you have any questions, talk to me.
> My IRC ID is "Daisy" in the channel of #openstack-i18n.

I can help you too. My nick is 'amotoki'.
I am usually online from 0200UTC to 1600UTC.

# It will be easier to find me compared to finding Daisy on IRC :)
# Just joking.. never mind Daisy!

Akihiro