[Openstack-i18n] Checking PO Files before uploading in Transifex

Akihiro Motoki amotoki at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 14:01:16 UTC 2015

Hi,

Thanks Tom for reminding this :-)

> Hi,
>
> I'm not a good translator, so bad person to respond to this, but I saw
> no response so far...
>
> I think most 'review' so far tends to happen inside Transifex, after
> translating.

Agree. I think Transifex is the translation interface and we don't
need to check BEFORE uploading an translation.
Instead it is better to check translations on Transifex in some way
because it is periodically imported into OpenStack repositories.
Not a small number of translators use Transifex directly to translate.
In Japanese case, AFAIK all translators directly use Transifex.

> Transifex has the capability to do this on a string-by-string basis
> (https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/Translation#Contribute_as_a_reviewer
> ), however, one of the best ways other teams have found to review
> strings in Horizon has been to set up a devstack installation and
> actually use the cloud and see if the interface makes sense in context.

In the past several releases, I provided a translation check site for
this purpose.
In this release, I don't have enough time to maintain the site.

All of my recipes for the translation check site are available at my
github [1] and [2].
[1] is Ansible playbook to setup devstack for I18N translations and
[2] is helper scripts.

If you have questions on how translations are published, i.e., being
merged into OpenStack git repositories,
feel free to ask in this list. Of course other questions are welcome.

[1] https://github.com/amotoki/ansible-i18n-devstack
[2] https://github.com/amotoki/horizon-i18n-tools

Akihiro Motoki <amotoki at gmail.com>