[Openstack-i18n] [OpenStack-docs] What's Up Doc? Jan 30 2015

Anne Gentle annegentle at justwriteclick.com
Mon Feb 2 14:08:53 UTC 2015

On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 2:19 AM, Tom Fifield <tom at openstack.org> wrote:

> On 01/02/15 23:12, Anne Gentle wrote:
> >

> > On Sun, Feb 1, 2015 at 6:10 AM, KATO Tomoyuki <tomo at dream.daynight.jp
> > <mailto:tomo at dream.daynight.jp>> wrote:
> >
> >     > We have a new Sphinx theme for docs.openstack.org <
> http://docs.openstack.org>, called
> >     > openstackdocstheme. It should be available on pipy as soon as we
> can get it
> >     > released. Once that's released I'll write instructions for how to
> apply it
> >     > to migrated content. A huge thanks to Doug Hellman for getting it
> >     > releasable!
> >     >
> >     > We are working through migrations for the End User Guide and Admin
> User
> >     > Guide, sign up for a section at
> >     > https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/Migrate.
> >     >
> >     > While migrating a chapter, I found I wanted some guidelines for
> how to
> >     > migrate, so I wrote some here:
> >     >
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/Migrate#Migration_Conventions
> >     > Feel free to disagree with my notes so far, but my main theme is
> "simplify."
> >     >
> >     > The Foundation is working on letting people know about the new
> home page
> >     > design for docs.openstack.org <http://docs.openstack.org>
> probably through a
> >     Superuser post so that we
> >     > can dig into the techie details. :) Please let me know if you have
> >     > questions, and realize we're working through the kinks as we go.
> >
> >     Do we have i18n tool chain for new format?
> >

> > It is a work item to investigate how to make translations work with RST:
> >
> http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/docs-specs/specs/kilo/migrate-to-new-web-design.html#work-items
> >

> I'd just like to emphasize how critically important it is for any
> toolchain changes to continue to support i18n activities. Ubiquity is
> part of our mission, and the documentation must support this.
>
> It would seem unwise to embark on any mass migration to a new toolchain
> prior to this ability becoming available.

Your wording is pretty harsh, Tom, I'd appreciate more faith in our
community processes. Migration is quite manual so I expect the timing will
be fine as laid out in the spec. Yes, we're behind on the schedule for the
translation research item.

I've started a new thread on both this mailing list and the i18n mailing
list to ask for specific technical testing for translation.

http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-docs/2015-February/005785.html

Thanks,
Anne

--