[Openstack-i18n] [OpenStack-docs] What's Up Doc? Jan 30 2015

Tom Fifield tom at openstack.org
Mon Feb 2 08:19:18 UTC 2015

On 01/02/15 23:12, Anne Gentle wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 1, 2015 at 6:10 AM, KATO Tomoyuki <tomo at dream.daynight.jp
> <mailto:tomo at dream.daynight.jp>> wrote:
>
>     > We have a new Sphinx theme for docs.openstack.org <http://docs.openstack.org>, called
>     > openstackdocstheme. It should be available on pipy as soon as we can get it
>     > released. Once that's released I'll write instructions for how to apply it
>     > to migrated content. A huge thanks to Doug Hellman for getting it to
>     > releasable!
>     >
>     > We are working through migrations for the End User Guide and Admin User
>     > Guide, sign up for a section at
>     > https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/Migrate.
>     >
>     > While migrating a chapter, I found I wanted some guidelines for how to
>     > migrate, so I wrote some here:
>     > https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/Migrate#Migration_Conventions
>     > Feel free to disagree with my notes so far, but my main theme is "simplify."
>     >
>     > The Foundation is working on letting people know about the new home page
>     > design for docs.openstack.org <http://docs.openstack.org> probably through a
>     Superuser post so that we
>     > can dig into the techie details. :) Please let me know if you have
>     > questions, and realize we're working through the kinks as we go.
>
>     Do we have i18n tool chain for new format?
>

> It is a work item to investigate how to make translations work with RST:
> http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/docs-specs/specs/kilo/migrate-to-new-web-design.html#work-items

I'd just like to emphasize how critically important it is for any
toolchain changes to continue to support i18n activities. Ubiquity is
part of our mission, and the documentation must support this.

It would seem unwise to embark on any mass migration to a new toolchain
prior to this ability becoming available.

Regards,

Tom