[Openstack-i18n] ATC candidates listing - call for coodinators' action

Tom Fifield tom at openstack.org
Fri Aug 7 05:42:00 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I'm going to attempt to add some information here - hopefully I won't
make it worse.

On 06/08/15 19:31, Akihiro Motoki wrote:
> The first point is the main reason that I am asking in this thread.
> I would like to clarify what are different from the usual process
> and what we can if we follow the normal ATC definition.
>
> The actual definition of ATC for normal (non-I18n) contributors are
> as described above, but we are in a special stage and we may be able
> to have a bit different definition. If so, it is better to announce how
> it is different
> from the normal ATC definition.

As Motoki san notes, what we're doing at the moment is 'special'.

Why?

Normally, ATC status is automatically determined - by having a commit in
a repository. We are able to easily check using our existing tooling.

Our Transifex workflow does not allow for this 'easy', or 'standard'
way. Our Zanata tooling in the future should be able to do this.

However, we are in transition and do not yet have this working yet.
Despite this, we still want to be able to recognize the hard work of our
translators: they have waited long enough.

Thankfully, the governance of the Technical Committee provides another
way, so called: "Exceptional ATC Status".

"Exceptional ATC Status" was designed so that important contributors who
couldn't get ATC through the 'standard' way could still be recognised.
It's not uncommon, and a current list of people with such status can be
found here:
https://github.com/openstack/governance/blob/master/reference/extra-atcs
. "Exceptional" refers to the method of acquiring the status - the
status itself has the same rights :)

The reason we are collecting the lists is to submit an "Exceptional ATC
Status" request on behalf of the translators. As per
http://governance.openstack.org/reference/charter.html#voters-for-tc-seats-atc
, we will send "an email to the TC chair".

Given current progress on Zanata, we should only have to do this once,
but it should assist with getting some ATC labels on badges in Tokyo :)

Regards,

Tom