[Openstack-i18n] Translation update process for stable branch(es)

Tom Fifield tom at openstack.org
Thu Oct 23 13:17:45 UTC 2014

On 23/10/14 21:07, Akihiro Motoki wrote:

> 2014年10月23日木曜日、Ying Chun Guo<guoyingc at cn.ibm.com
> <mailto:guoyingc at cn.ibm.com>>さんは書きました:
>
>     Akihiro Motoki <amotoki at gmail.com
>     <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','amotoki at gmail.com');>> wrote on
>     2014/10/22 21:09:51:
>
>     > Akihiro Motoki <amotoki at gmail.com
>     <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','amotoki at gmail.com');>>
>     > 2014/10/22 21:09
>     >
>     >
>     > "openstack-i18n at lists.openstack.org
>     <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','openstack-i18n at lists.openstack.org');>" <Openstack-i18n at lists.openstack.org
>     <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','Openstack-i18n at lists.openstack.org');>>,
>     >
>     > cc
>     >
>     > Subject
>     >
>     > Re: [Openstack-i18n] Translation update process for stable branch(es)
>     >
>     > Hi all,
>     >
>     > I can have time to read the meeting log of the I18N team this week
>     [1].
>     >
>     > According to the log, the team agreed that we maintain two resources
>     > (1 stable + current)
>     > for accepting translations. Now Juno is released, so we maintain
>     > resources for Juno and current,
>     > and we no longer accepts translations for Icehouse. I think it is
>     reasonable.
>     >
>     > According to this policy, we will delete havana and Icehouse
>     > translations from Transifex. Right?
>     >
>     > Now it raise me a couple of questions on how to handle Icehouse
>     translations.
>     >
>     > (1) Until when we accept Icehouse (previous current stable)?
>     >
>     > My idea is we accept translations until the first stable update
>     for Icehouse
>     > after the new stable (Juno) is released, i.e, until Icehouse 2014.1.4.
>     > By doing so, we don't lose Icehouse translations before Juno release.
>     > I see Russian translation made a great progress after the last import
>     > for Icehouse (2014.1.2)
>     > and it is worth imported.
>     >
>     +1
>
>     > (2) When we remove the previous current stable (Icehouse) from
>     Transifex?
>     >
>     > My idea is just after the timing of (1), i.e., just after Icehouse
>     > udpate 2014.1.4 is released.
>     >

>     How do you think of just marking them as "not accept translation"?
>

> What is a merit of keeping old translations with "not accept translation"?

This is my understanding (could be 100% wrong) of how the translation
dictionary works...

Scenario 1 "Keep old translations":
* String from old version appears as suggestion in new version

Scenario 2 "Delete old translations":
* No suggestion strings based on old versions appear when translating
new versions

So, potentially, removing the old translations destroys some useful
translation dictionary entries. I could be completely wrong here, so it
is worth confirming this, if such translation dictionary entries are
deemed useful :)