[Openstack-i18n] Clarifying String Freeze

Julie Pichon jpichon at redhat.com
Tue Mar 25 18:43:00 UTC 2014

Hi all,

During the weekly Horizon meeting [0], a few questions from the Horizon
team came up about String Freeze. I think the wiki page on String Freeze
[1] at the moment does not match the wishes of the translation team,
based on previous conversations [2].

It would be really helpful if the wiki page could be updated to match
what the i18n team would prefer. At the moment, in Horizon it seems
what we're doing, and planning on doing, is this (somewhat similar to
what happened in Havana):

 - During String Freeze and until RC1, small string changes are ok
   (Horizon core can just approve)
 - During String Freeze, string changes in the "grey zone" should use
   the exception approval process on the wiki (email to i18n list)
 - After RC1 is released, every string change should follow the
   exception approval process on the wiki (email to i18n list) ??? -
   this isn't clearly defined yet, maybe it needs to be earlier?

Point #3 is about when the "soft freeze" needs to become a "hard freeze".

What is the grey zone? I'm not entirely sure either. An example was:
adding several new strings for what could be considered a
"mini-feature", during the RC period. Perhaps we can start with this
kind of examples + "when in doubt, ask on the i18n list" to define what
is the grey zone.

In general, I think updating the wiki page would really help reviewers
assess patches with a clearer understanding of what is helpful to the
i18n/translation team during string freeze, and what might require
exception approval or more discussion.

Thank you,

Julie

[0]