[openstack-dev] [I18n][Horizon] I18n compliance test & string freeze exception

Ying Chun Guo guoyingc at cn.ibm.com
Thu Mar 13 08:41:45 UTC 2014

Hello, all

Our translators start translation and I18n compliance test since string
frozen date.
During the translation and test, we may report bugs.
Some bugs are incorrect and incomprehensible messages.
Some bugs are user facing messages but not marked with _().
All of these bugs might introduce string changes and add new strings to be
translated.
I noticed some patches to fix these bugs got -1 because of "string freeze".
For example, https://review.openstack.org/#/c/79679/
and https://review.openstack.org/#/c/79948/

StringFreeze -> Start translation & test -> Report bugs which may cause
string changes -> Cannot fix these bugs because of StringFreeze.
So I'd like to bring this question to dev: when shall we fix these errors
then?

>From my point of view, FeatureFreeze means "not accept new features", and
doesn't mean "cannot fix bugs in features".
StringFreeze should mean "not to add new strings". But we could be able to
improve strings and fix bugs.
I think shipping with incorrect messages is worse than strict string
freeze.

>From my experiences in Havana release, since StringFreeze, there are
volunteers from Horizon team who would
keep an eye on strings changes. If string changes happen, they would send
email
to I18n ML to inform these changes. Many thanks to their work.
In Havana release, we kept on those kind of bug reporting and fixing till
RC2.
Most of them are happened before RC1.

Now I hope to hear your input to this situation: when and how should we fix
these kind of bugs in Icehouse?

Best regards
Ying Chun Guo (Daisy)