[Openstack-i18n] Horizon translation importing policy for Havana RC1

Łukasz Jernaś deejay1 at srem.org
Mon Sep 23 20:16:43 UTC 2013

Hi Daisy and Akihiro!

On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 8:54 AM, Ying Chun Guo <guoyingc at cn.ibm.com> wrote:
> Akihiro Motoki <amotoki at gmail.com> wrote on 2013/09/23 14:37:12:
>
>> Akihiro Motoki <amotoki at gmail.com>
>> 2013/09/23 14:37
>> I have several questions to clarify.
>> What do you think? I would like to know opinions from I18N team?
>>
>> (1) What is 100% translated?
>>     Does 100% mean that all **three** resources (Horizon, Horizon
>> JavaScript,
>>     OpenStack Dashboard) are completed?
>
> I think, our goal is to translated the web UI.
> The log messages are not included.
> Completely translating all the strings displayed in the web UI should be
> regarded
> as 100% translation.
> If all the three resources will be displayed in web UI, all of them should
> be included.

The log messages shouldn't even be translated (I knew, I've seen
something about log messages, but well, another thread it is then), so
we can just copy them over (as it was done for Chinese and I did in
Polish)

>> (2) Do we remove translations not completed (<100%) from Horizon repo?
>>     RC1 release is created from the repo. This means that if we don't
>> remove
>>     them non-completed translations will be shipped in RC1.
>
> I prefer to remove.
> I'd like to hear others opinion.
> Will users use partly translated dashboard?
> If users won't use, I think there is no concerns to remove uncompleted
> translation.

IMHO that depends on what is translated. I'd consider the out of the
box horizon dashboards do be a measure of things translated.
Everything that isn't enabled by default in the dashboard (like for
example DBaaS) is in my opinion not a complete blocker. For example
the installation I have at work doesn't have many of those features
and probably even with havana they won't be enabled so the users won't
ever see any untranslated parts (if they were any for my language ;)
But it's hard to test for component completion and it would require
putting your faith it in the hands of the specific language
coordinators.
So right now my proposal is - remove those translations and reconsider
a process change for 2013.2.1 or IceHouse

>> (3) What should the language list of the user preference form be?
>>     I believe the default language list is important.
>>     - All 100% translated languages should be listed.
>>       Some languages needs to be added.
>>     - Non 100% translated languages should be removed or listed?
>>       If so what is the criteria? Over 50% on Transifex?
>>

> I prefer to list the languages Horizon supports, i.e. those languages whose
> po/mo files packaged with Horizon.
> But the list should be easily added or customized.
> If some people want to provide their own language version after Havana
> release, they can easily change the language list,
> add their po files and mo files. They don't need to depend on the formal
> release.

Can't really answer that because it depends on question 2 (and also I
have no idea how to answer that anyway :(

Regards,
--
Łukasz [DeeJay1] Jernaś