[OpenStack-docs] Future of the HA Guide?

Lana Brindley openstack at lanabrindley.com
Tue Dec 6 03:32:41 UTC 2016

Hi everyone,

Seems that the HA Guide is rearing its ugly head again at the moment. It's not had a lot of attention in the past year or so, so it's gotten more and more out of date. Under the guidance of Andrew Beekhof, it's slowly improving, and Alexandra Settle has been putting in a lot of effort recently, however it's time we decided whether or not it's worth overhauling the guide. At the moment, we have an unapproved blueprint here: https://blueprints.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+spec/implement-ha-guide-todos

So, what do you think? We know that a fair few people are looking at it (the HA Guide had 1,621 visitors in the last 30 days. Compare that to the Ubuntu Newton Install Guide which got 3,426 or the Ops Guide at 1,547 in the same period), but it's important that if people are accessing the information that it's accurate, and we already know the HA Guide is not current. Is it better to have it there and possibly incorrect, or to remove it entirely? Can we subsume any good content in the HA Guide into another guide (or guides)?

I want to make sure we have a clear direction on this guide before we commit resources to improving it. So, ideas please, before the book gets consigned to the recycling bin!

Lana Brindley
Technical Writer
Rackspace Cloud Builders Australia
http://lanabrindley.com