[OpenStack-docs] Licensing of documentation

Anne Gentle annegentle at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 13:32:16 UTC 2015

> Message: 1
> Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2015 08:36:07 +0100
> From: Andreas Jaeger <aj at suse.com>
> To: Stefano Maffulli <stefano at openstack.org>,
>         openstack-docs at lists.openstack.org
> Subject: Re: [OpenStack-docs] Licensing of documentation
>
> On 03/17/2015 07:12 PM, Stefano Maffulli wrote:
> > The conversation has definitely drifted off-topic now :) but I think
> > it's worth responding here (and eventually move to infra, where it
> > should continue)
> >
> > On Tue, 2015-03-17 at 15:57 +0000, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> >> Once we can safely migrate review.openstack.org to
> >> authenticate against the same openstackid.org identity provider as
> >> www.openstack.org uses, this should become much simpler again since
> >> we'll have a way to force contributors to sign up for a foundation
> >> account (though they'll no longer need to fill out the foundation
> >> membership form when doing so).
> >
> > Indeed, stop using Launchpad and use openstackid.org globally is the
> > last step we need to accomplish before we can decouple individual
> > memberships from commit rights. I think we already have all the basic
> > tools in place to build the list of voters, we need to start thinking
> > about moving gerrit to use openstackid.org.
> >
> > Now, to go back to licensing docs:
> >
> > what's the status of licensing for the OpenStack upstream documentation?
> >
> > (I can wait for Anne to come back from holiday if she's the only one who
> > can answer this question).
>
> **************************

Sigh, that's not good. I don't want to be the only one who knows this. :)

Technically the docs are still Apache 2.0 because there is no indicator to
a docs contributor that it would be licensed any other way. (To me, this is
why we either change the current design or get the transfer underway.)

Nick Chase did a lot of legwork a few years back looking into what the
legal need is to get all docs licensed cc-by, and we think we need to have
all current contributors indicate in writing (somehow) that they license
the content cc-by. Then the CLA needs to either change or we need a 2nd CLA
for docs contributions.

The desired outcomes are:
- every reader knows the license
- all people (corporate contributors, publishers) know if and how to reuse
the docs
- every contributor knows their rights when they write upstream docs
- contributors are not held liable if the docs are wrong
- use of the OpenStack brand and logo still go through normal brand
guidelines

That's all I can think of for now. Let me know if there are additional
questions or difference in opinion on the outcomes we need.