[OpenStack-docs] Viewing HTML of RST for Developer Docs

Anne Gentle annegentle at justwriteclick.com
Fri Jun 12 22:28:45 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jun 12, 2015 at 4:48 PM, APlimpton <aplimpton at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I wanted to clone a project repo (Swift), make a couple of small changes
> to the developer docs and then view the HTML to be sure everything is set
> correctly with text editor etc. I started out following the HowTo and
> HowTo/FirstTimers instuctions, cloned the repo locally on my laptop, made
> the changes and am ready to look at the local build.
>
> However there are no instructions on how to do that. I see a Building
> Output Locally section on the How To
> <https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/HowTo>wiki --- but that is
> for openstack-manuals. When I tried the instructions, just is case they
> somehow work, I got a large chunk of errors. (mostly about packages and
> modules that are not installed)

All projects have a tox -e docs command. We've been pretty insistent lately.

So our instructions at
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/HowTo#Building_Output_Locally
should work.

On Mac, do all this first:

Because Sphinx builds have dependent requirements it is best to work with
in a virtual environment. Fortunately the project already has tox set up so
that you can create a virtualenv that contains the required dependencies.
To use it, do this on a Mac or Ubuntu machine with Python and pip already
installed:

Clone the swift repo.

Change directories into swift.

Run this:

tox -e py27

When you get a congratulations message, run this:

Mac/Ubuntu:

source .tox/py27/bin/activate

Then run:

tox -e docs

Let us know how it goes! On the wiki, feel free to reverse-order those
instructions and make them more generic.

> Switching to the Developer's Guide
> <http://docs.openstack.org/infra/manual/developers.html> was not helpful
> as they don't cover the docs part.
>
> One of the devs at work suggested using "python ./setup.py build_sphinx"
> That also results in numerous errors.
>
> The best guess I'm hearing now is that I should get a VM, install the
> project on it and then do the clone etc al.
>
> How is this actually supposed to work?
>
> Thanks,
> Amanda

Anne Gentle