[OpenStack-docs] Viewing HTML of RST for Developer Docs

APlimpton aplimpton at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 21:48:09 UTC 2015

Hi,

I wanted to clone a project repo (Swift), make a couple of small changes to
the developer docs and then view the HTML to be sure everything is set
correctly with text editor etc. I started out following the HowTo and
HowTo/FirstTimers instuctions, cloned the repo locally on my laptop, made
the changes and am ready to look at the local build.

However there are no instructions on how to do that. I see a Building
Output Locally section on the How To
<https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/HowTo>wiki --- but that is
for openstack-manuals. When I tried the instructions, just is case they
somehow work, I got a large chunk of errors. (mostly about packages and
modules that are not installed)

Switching to the Developer's Guide
<http://docs.openstack.org/infra/manual/developers.html> was not helpful as
they don't cover the docs part.

One of the devs at work suggested using "python ./setup.py build_sphinx"
That also results in numerous errors.

The best guess I'm hearing now is that I should get a VM, install the
project on it and then do the clone etc al.

How is this actually supposed to work?

Thanks,
Amanda