[OpenStack-docs] Debian install guide: getting it back on docs.openstack.org

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Mon Jun 1 13:19:30 UTC 2015

Hi,

tl;dr:
- Please re-enable the install-guide generation for Debian so that it is
possible to work on it and see an actual result
- Please provide a list of actions to get the install-guide for Debian
linked again on docs.openstack.org
- Let's get bugs filled better, as those who where opened were not
actionable easily (multiple issues in a single bugs, and a single
problem in multiple bugs: that's impossible to triage correctly)
- I hope the docs team will be more welcoming and that the big-tent
model also applies to the docs

Longer version:

As per the discussion I had with Lanna at the summit, I'd like that the
Debian install-guide generation gets reactivated, so that at least, it
is possible to work on the Debian install-guide and see the results.

Then, the install-guide for Debian was removed mainly because of what
Matt Kassawara wrote in this list, without cross-checking from anyone
else, and because I was too busy on the Kilo release for Debian to pay
enough attention to the doc list. Also, Alex (from Mirantis) was
supposed to work on the Debian docs, but were assigned to something else
by his managers, and he told nobody. So I had the feeling someone would
take over the work, and left it aside.n

The the Debian install guide was just removed without even saying under
which conditions it would come back. There's currently no bugs open in
Launchpad on that topic, it is hard to know what to work on.

I am ok to do some actions, both on the packaging level and on the
install-guide itself, to make it come back. However, for it to happen, I
need to know what others feel isn't right.

The bugs open by Matt, while sometimes containing accurate information,
where hardly actionable because of the ways they were submitted. I hope
that this wont happen again, so that all bugs can be actionable. I
quickly told this to Matt at the summit. When a bug is open, it should
contain a single issue only. And never twice an issue should be
reported. This way, a bug can be triaged, fixed, or closed. I hope this
simple guideline which everyone follows everywhere will also be observed
on the docs bugs.

In the absence of anyone opening new bugs of the Debian install-guide
(and in a correct way this time), I would consider this means we all
agree that both the Debian install-guide and its link on
docs.openstack.org should come back.

Also, it is my understanding that the install-guide is currently being
transitioned to RST format. Will this include the Kilo release? Is it
worth for me to work on it? Is the RST guide located on a new
repository, or is it taking over the old one? Please let me know so I
know how to contribute.

Last word: I've been on purpose quite about this issue, as I thought
that letting time pass was the best option, to give a chance for brains
to cool down (this includes myself...). However, I still have very hard
feelings about what happened, and I strongly believe this was a
non-welcoming action that isn't inline at all with the big tent model.
It is my hope that core contributors (and the new PLT) also regret the
course of actions, and that together, we'll fix it.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)