[OpenStack-docs] Bug triaging

Anne Gentle annegentle at justwriteclick.com
Tue Jul 28 02:56:43 UTC 2015

Hi all,
We're getting lots of new bugs logged for openstack-api-site, and I'm
training all the newcomers bug-by-bug so I wanted to send an email to see
if we can get more people who know how the bug triage process works. It's
documented here:

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/HowTo#Doc_Bug_Triaging_Guidelines

In addition to the info in the page, what you need to know is:

 * Anyone can join the bug triaging team at
https://launchpad.net/~openstack-doc-bugs.
 * You only need one other person to confirm your bug.
 * Please don't self-confirm a bug unless it's reported in email or an
outside tool or test, be clear in the comments if you do set a
self-reported bug to Confirmed. (I did this twice today but it was based on
the WADL to Swagger tool results and I indicate that in the bug.)
 * Please don't upload a fix until the bug is set to Confirmed because it's
difficult to review the fix if we don't know for sure it's a bug.
 * Use the API Working Group Guidelines when in doubt about whether the API
docs have a bug or not. http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/api-wg/

One additional nuance... be careful about assigning yourself before a bug
is set to Confirmed, so that we give others a chance to work on bugs also.
I hesitate to even mention this since I'm super pleased with the bug
reporting and fixing. However, generally speaking it's a possible
"blocking" behavior if you assign yourself before a bug is "Confirmed."
Happens when I onboard interns -- the bug gets fixed before an intern gets
a chance to do some work! :)

Nice bug work, all! I'm really impressed.

Anne Gentle
Rackspace
Principal Engineer
www.justwriteclick.com