[OpenStack-docs] Usage of OmniGraffle

Matt Kassawara mkassawara at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 14:54:03 UTC 2015

As someone who contributes plenty of diagrams, I just want a reliable
location (i.e., not my personal computer) with version control that ideally
uses a work flow similar other projects. I think most of our repositories
already contain "images" directories in one way or another (e.g.,
common/figures) and would make sense to use them... except it doesn't solve
the "non-free" file format issue. As for source file types, a vector format
(SVG) makes sense for both editing and publishing. All diagram applications
appear to support SVG output in addition to the native file format. Maven
should convert SVGs to PNGs for HTML output and SVGs to EPSs (or similar)
for PDF output. However, we currently use PNGs in our code because our
Maven plug-in (or something else in the build process) doesn't contain the
correct fonts and generates unusable output [1].

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1292971