[OpenStack-docs] Version API documentation for Nova

Anne Gentle annegentle at justwriteclick.com
Fri Feb 20 03:16:31 UTC 2015

On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 6:43 PM, Christopher Yeoh <cbkyeoh at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> With the upcoming release of v2.1 microversions for the Nova API there is
> a file that
> lives in the Nova tree that I think would be really useful released
> alongside the Nova API ref documentation. It can be seen in this review:
>
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/140313/
>
> in rest_api_version_history.rst
>
> Its in the Nova tree so we can enforce developers writing a decent summary
> of the API changes before the code merges.
>
> So I'm wondering how we might be able to have this along side the api
> developer ref documentation on the website (can we automate this getting
> copied?) .

We've wanted to automate copying tested sample requests and resources for a
while now, see this blueprint:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+spec/api-samples-to-api-site

So yes, it would be great to get automated. Anyone have a resource who
could do this or have an interest in cross-repo file copy automation?

> Unfortunately we don't have api ref docs for v2.1 microversions yet - it
> is from an API point of view pretty identical to v2, at least until the api
> changes using microversions like the review referenced above. Any changes
> using microversions do generate new api samples.

There are API ref docs for 2.1 in the api-site repo, basically identical to
v2 but with the new X-OpenStack-Request-ID header and no extensions
indicated.

Note that I've got this patch in review now to ensure the "overview" (non
reference) API docs get into the nova repo.
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/142495/

Seems like a similar set of docs for 2.1 would be useful, what do you think?

Also this thread is as good a thread as any to put out a call to action to
have someone work on the backlog of API doc bugs for "compute-v3-now-v2.1"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-api-site/+bugs/?field.tag=compute-v3

I've definitely seen an uptick in both commits and reviews in the API
reference info but we're always looking for more contributors. (Love waking
up to overnight API doc work, better than coffee some mornings.)

> Regards,
>
> Chris

Anne Gentle
annegentle at justwriteclick.com