[OpenStack-docs] Version API documentation for Nova

Christopher Yeoh cbkyeoh at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 01:05:55 UTC 2015

On Thu, 19 Feb 2015 21:16:31 -0600
Anne Gentle <annegentle at justwriteclick.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 6:43 PM, Christopher Yeoh <cbkyeoh at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > With the upcoming release of v2.1 microversions for the Nova API
> > there is a file that
> > lives in the Nova tree that I think would be really useful released
> > alongside the Nova API ref documentation. It can be seen in this
> > review:
> >
> > https://review.openstack.org/#/c/140313/
> >
> > in rest_api_version_history.rst
> >
> > Its in the Nova tree so we can enforce developers writing a decent
> > summary of the API changes before the code merges.
> >
> > So I'm wondering how we might be able to have this along side the
> > api developer ref documentation on the website (can we automate
> > this getting copied?) .
> >

> We've wanted to automate copying tested sample requests and resources
> for a while now, see this blueprint:
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+spec/api-samples-to-api-site
>
> So yes, it would be great to get automated. Anyone have a resource who
> could do this or have an interest in cross-repo file copy automation?

I think I could find someone once the CNY holidays are over in a
week.But we'd need a bit of guidance for how to do it (I haven't done
this sort of thing before). I'm not sure how long we'd have them for
(hopefully up to summit time)

> > Unfortunately we don't have api ref docs for v2.1 microversions yet
> > - it is from an API point of view pretty identical to v2, at least
> > until the api changes using microversions like the review
> > referenced above. Any changes using microversions do generate new
> > api samples.
> >

> There are API ref docs for 2.1 in the api-site repo, basically
> identical to v2 but with the new X-OpenStack-Request-ID header and no
> extensions indicated.
>
> Note that I've got this patch in review now to ensure the
> "overview" (non reference) API docs get into the nova repo.
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/142495/

> Seems like a similar set of docs for 2.1 would be useful, what do you
> think?

Yes we should have this for v2.1. Hopefully we can help out with that

> Also this thread is as good a thread as any to put out a call to
> action to have someone work on the backlog of API doc bugs for
> "compute-v3-now-v2.1"
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-api-site/+bugs/?field.tag=compute-v3

Yea, unforuntately due to flip-flopping of v2/v3 this will all need to
be rechekced as from a quick browse details of some of those bugs are
no longer valid.

Regards,

Chris