[OpenStack-docs] Debian installation guide for Juno

Tom Fifield tom at openstack.org
Thu Nov 27 03:16:51 UTC 2014

Thomas,

As you know, I am in awe of the amount of effort you put in in packaging
and feel you are under-appreciated :) I'm sorry to trim your email so
much, but I just wanted to address this one point. Hopefully the others
will reply more fully (which you deserve, for such a detailed email).

On 27/11/14 07:41, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> See this:
>
> http://docs.openstack.org/juno/install-guide/install/apt-debian/content/glance-install.html
>
> Then see this:
> http://docs.openstack.org/juno/install-guide/install/apt/content/glance-install.html
>
> Then tell me which of the 2 is the most easy, and which one newbies will
> want to read.

I think there's an assumption here which is worth commenting on.

The purpose of the install guide on docs.openstack.org is actually not
to make the 'most easy' way to install OpenStack.

The purpose of the install guide on docs.openstack.org is to get a
reasonably-good practice deployment up while educating the reader just
enough on how the underlying things work that they can then move on to
use more advanced tools (think puppet, chef, et al) in conjunction with
the other documents.

For example's sake, one 'most easy' way to install OpenStack that quite
a lot of people use is DevStack.

What is needed in the install guide on docs.openstack.org is a
mid-point, that takes them from that "hand-holding" way to being able to
use automation to do an install.

Regards,

Tom