[Openstack-docs] Armed with roadmaps and bug lists, amazing docs happen

Lana Brindley openstack at lanabrindley.com
Wed May 21 03:14:51 UTC 2014

Yeah, I'm with Matt on this one. It doesn't really bother me where the
list is stored, as long as it's easy to find, easy to update, and easy
to use. Having to go through an approval/review process to assign work
to yourself will just mean that people get bored and wander off in
between deciding to do something, and waiting for the approval to do it.

On 21/05/14 11:05, Matt Kassawara wrote:
> We definitely need one place (or one type of place) to find the task
> list for each book/document and indicate ownership for particular tasks.
> I like the more formal nature of including a file in each repo that
> requires agreement through the review process to change roadmap
> components. However, assigning a task to myself also requires the review
> process and I'm not sure we need that complexity for this particular
> type of change. A wiki helps the latter situation, but lacks control and
> history of the roadmap components. Maybe we can self-approve task
> assignments?
>

> On Tue, May 20, 2014 at 4:03 PM, Anne Gentle <anne at openstack.org
> <mailto:anne at openstack.org>> wrote:
>
>     Hi all,
>     I've proposed roadmaps to live in-repo for each book in the
>     openstack-manuals repository:
>
>     https://review.openstack.org/94387
>     https://review.openstack.org/94389
>     https://review.openstack.org/94386
>     https://review.openstack.org/94388
>     https://review.openstack.org/94384
>     https://review.openstack.org/94390
>     https://review.openstack.org/94385
>
>     I'd like input on the process we can implement for these roadmaps.
>     I'd like bugs to be reserved for actual defects and blueprints to be
>     reserved for large coordinated efforts.
>
>     Roadmap tasks are additional information that enhances the
>     particular guide targeted with the roadmap. A roadmap should give
>     walk-up contributors a list of things they could do if they're so
>     inclined. How can a contributor indicate they're working on a
>     roadmap task so we avoid duplication of effort? Submit a
>     work-in-progress patch is all I have proposed so far. Is that
>     work-able? Let me know your thoughts on how to make a roadmap work
>     (and don't make me set up a docs-specs repo please). :)
>
>     Thanks,
>     Anne

Lana Brindley
Technical Writer