[Openstack-docs] Basic OS configuration chapter in installation guide

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Mon Mar 24 14:42:02 UTC 2014

On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 9:38 AM, Phil Hopkins <phil.hopkins at rackspace.com>wrote:

> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Mar 24, 2014, at 8:12 AM, "Anne Gentle" <anne at openstack.org> wrote:
>

> On Sat, Mar 22, 2014 at 7:20 PM, Phil Hopkins <phil.hopkins at rackspace.com>wrote:
>
>> If one cannot set up networking one doesn't need to be installing
>> Openstack, My $0.02
>>

>  Phil, I can't have us thinking this way yet... everyone takes a
> meandering path to OpenStack and may not have all the (pick your distro)
> networking knowledge we'd like. We have to be advocates for our users no
> matter where they started their journey. I won't ever be persuaded by this
> line of thinking.
>

>  Anne i was sending from My phone and was being cryptic. Sorry if my
> intent was misunderstood. I would never mean that we shouldn't help folks
> that are new to OpenStack. However we need to gently point the to resources
> whereby they can learn rather than repeating those resources in our docs.
>
>  We all were new to this at one point and it is important to remember
> that. So that said we help them on the path to learning about OpenStack.

HURRAY! Thanks for sending, I was pretty sure you felt this way and
appreciate the longer explanation. :)

I agree with laser focus on the OpenStack education, that's a great point.
There's a stack of tech you'd have to learn (database, message queues,
networking) and let's give the best pointers we can.

Anne