[Openstack-docs] Basic OS configuration chapter in installation guide

Phil Hopkins phil.hopkins at rackspace.com
Mon Mar 24 14:38:15 UTC 2014

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 24, 2014, at 8:12 AM, "Anne Gentle" <anne at openstack.org<mailto:anne at openstack.org>> wrote:

On Sat, Mar 22, 2014 at 7:20 PM, Phil Hopkins <phil.hopkins at rackspace.com<mailto:phil.hopkins at rackspace.com>> wrote:
If one cannot set up networking one doesn't need to be installing Openstack, My $0.02

Phil, I can't have us thinking this way yet... everyone takes a meandering path to OpenStack and may not have all the (pick your distro) networking knowledge we'd like. We have to be advocates for our users no matter where they started their journey. I won't ever be persuaded by this line of thinking.

Anne i was sending from My phone and was being cryptic. Sorry if my intent was misunderstood. I would never mean that we shouldn't help folks that are new to OpenStack. However we need to gently point the to resources whereby they can learn rather than repeating those resources in our docs.

We all were new to this at one point and it is important to remember that. So that said we help them on the path to learning about OpenStack.

Phil

That said, Matt's arguments are sound for maintenance purposes. We heavily rely on MySQL documentation for all but the very basics. Can we draw a similar line here and refer to the distro's documentation for networking?

Anne

Phil
Sent from my iPhone