[Openstack-docs] docs-specs repository

Anne Gentle annegentle at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 18:06:49 UTC 2014

My apologies to Sean, I didn't see his original post so now I have to reply
to the digest. Arg. Now threading will be weird. Anyway, more below.

>    5. docs-specs repository (Sean Roberts)
>

> Message: 5
> Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2014 05:07:32 +0000
> From: Sean Roberts <seanrob at yahoo-inc.com>
> To: "openstack-docs >> openstack-docs at lists.openstack.org"
>         <openstack-docs at lists.openstack.org>
> Subject: [Openstack-docs] docs-specs repository
>
> The training-guides team has been seriously looking at using specs as a
> blueprint development step. After discussing the topic with Anne, we
> thought discussing having a program wide spec repo was a good idea.
> So I propose the documentation program use the repo Openstack/docs-spec.
> We would still create a wiki page as the starting point. The design would
> follow an RST template, so important bits of information do not get missed.

Hopefully you can use the one I had in my post as a good starting point,
thanks for taking this on.

> Here are the steps the training guides project are considering. We were
> planning just a repo sub-directory, but that would change with the above
> plan.
> Create a Blueprint
>
>   1.  The blueprint is created here
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/openstack-training-guides/+addspec, only
> the name, title, and summary need to be filled out

Yep.

>   2.  Submit a spec RST patch based on the template
> https://github.com/openstack/training-guides/blob/master/specs/template.rst

I'd prefer starting with a different template.

>   3.  Gerrit reviews are the debate and refinement

Yes.

>   4.  Final RST patch either is rejected or approved

We need to discuss whether a separate team can do approval on a
subdirectory. Or does the doc-core team need to review all blueprints?

>   5.  If the RST patch is approved, then it gets merged, the blueprint is
> approved, and the RST details are manually updated into the blueprint
>   6.  The blueprint can only be approved for current release

Yes, good point. Also we do not track milestone releases for docs.

>   7.  Blueprints not approved or not implemented during a release cycle
> need the RST patch be resubmitted for the next cycle

Agreed.

Thanks Sean! Sorry for my screw up!
Anne