[Openstack-docs] Installation and configuration section structure

Matt Kassawara mkassawara at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 19:03:32 UTC 2014

Prior to the Icehouse installation guide networking updates project, the
structure for most installation and configuration sections consisted of one
procedure containing steps/substeps. While working on the networking
updates project, I found this structure difficult for us to code and for
our audience to follow with more complex services such as neutron. After
trying some variants of the original structure, I eventually decided to
break each group of related steps into separate procedures. To provide our
audience with consistency, I think we should implement this structure
throughout the installation guide during the improvement project. However,
this structure leans toward overkill for simpler services such as keystone.
We need to determine whether we stick with consistency or adjust structure
based on service complexity. Please take a look at the following examples
of each structure and provide your opinions.

Separate procedures:

http://docs.openstack.org/icehouse/install-guide/install/apt/content/neutron-ml2-network-node.html

http://docs-draft.openstack.org/59/96059/4/check/gate-openstack-manuals-tox-doc-publish-checkbuild/32a4a38/publish-docs/trunk/install-guide/install/apt/content/keystone-install.html

One procedure: