[Openstack-docs] Installation and configuration section structure

Diane Fleming diane.fleming at RACKSPACE.COM
Wed Jun 11 19:33:04 UTC 2014

Thanks Matt.

I'm in favor of breaking procedures that are longer than 10 steps into smaller procedures. Otherwise, when possible, use a single procedure.

I don't think consistency gains us much, if anything, in this case.

Here's some good general guidance about procedures:

http://www.helpscribe.com/2008/01/11-tips-for-writing-incredibly-useful.html

Diane
Diane Fleming
Software Developer II - US
diane.fleming at rackspace.com
Cell  512.323.6799
Office 512.874.1260
Skype drfleming0227
Google-plus diane.fleming at gmail.com

From: Matt Kassawara <mkassawara at gmail.com<mailto:mkassawara at gmail.com>>
Date: Wednesday, June 11, 2014 2:03 PM
To: "openstack-docs at lists.openstack.org<mailto:openstack-docs at lists.openstack.org>" <openstack-docs at lists.openstack.org<mailto:openstack-docs at lists.openstack.org>>
Subject: [Openstack-docs] Installation and configuration section structure

Prior to the Icehouse installation guide networking updates project, the structure for most installation and configuration sections consisted of one procedure containing steps/substeps. While working on the networking updates project, I found this structure difficult for us to code and for our audience to follow with more complex services such as neutron. After trying some variants of the original structure, I eventually decided to break each group of related steps into separate procedures. To provide our audience with consistency, I think we should implement this structure throughout the installation guide during the improvement project. However, this structure leans toward overkill for simpler services such as keystone. We need to determine whether we stick with consistency or adjust structure based on service complexity. Please take a look at the following examples of each structure and provide your opinions.

Separate procedures:

http://docs.openstack.org/icehouse/install-guide/install/apt/content/neutron-ml2-network-node.html

http://docs-draft.openstack.org/59/96059/4/check/gate-openstack-manuals-tox-doc-publish-checkbuild/32a4a38/publish-docs/trunk/install-guide/install/apt/content/keystone-install.html

One procedure: