[Openstack-docs] Integrating Ask OpenStack in docs

Steve Gordon sgordon at redhat.com
Thu Oct 31 17:59:54 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Anne Gentle" <annegentle at justwriteclick.com>

I can answer a few of these based on my use of the site:

> I do have implementation requests for the replacement.
> - Can you embed code snippets?

Yes, using markdown (indent four spaces or surround in tildas, there is also a button on the WYSIWYG editor).

> - Does it provide spam/robot protection?
> - Can we "bulk close" or expire threads that are opened at a specific point
> in time? For example, closing all moderation and asking on the Diablo or
> Folsom releases.

Is there a particular driver for wanting to do this other than that the documentation wouldn't be updated? My thinking is we'd just turn off our notifications on these (might be a requirement for more advanced tag filtering, more on that below), if the community is still asking (and answering) questions on these then I don't think they should be treated differently to any other question on ask.o.o - though ther eis a closure reason for "not relevant or outdated".

> - Can we have RSS notification, text notification, email notifications when
> a new thread is started, when one gets a reply, for an entire book?

An RSS feed is automatically created for all tags, email notifications are available (instant, daily digest, weekly digest, or none) and you would configure them based on the tags of interest as well. From the UI it's not clear to me how you would configure email notification based on a combination of tags (for instance "install-guide" + "yum" + "neutron", but not "install-guide" + "apt" + "neutron", or even something like "install-guide" + "yum" - "diablo").

Ultimately all notification related questions really come back to what tags are used when raising a question from the documentation and what filtering can be exposed by ask when generating the existing RSS feeds and emails.

> - Can notifications be controlled by group or by individual users only?
> - Will the mobile user experience be supported?

ask.o.o seems to work OK on mobile (actually better than docs.openstack.org - are we meant to be exposing a mobile specific version of the site?).

> - Can we have analytics reports available on which pages are generating the
> most questions, hotly debated, what time of day do they occur, how long
> does it take for someone to respond?
> - Will we be able to moderate the threads by closing down a thread or
> deleting a reply completely?

As you earn points on the ask.o.o site you gain moderator abilities, 500 is the threshold for being able to delete content. Part of the idea in these systems is that as users gain points they are guided on how to best use their powers as they are granted.

Thanks,

Steve