[Openstack-docs] code to build api methods

Cyril Roelandt cyril.roelandt at enovance.com
Wed Oct 23 10:25:29 UTC 2013

(Could you please keep me CCed, since I have not subscribed to
openstack-docs (yet) ? Thanks!)

On 10/22/2013 05:41 PM, Anne Gentle wrote:
> Hi Kersten,
>
> I think lots of people are trying to solve for automation and small parts
> do help. Thanks David for noting what's missing.
>
> Just last week, Cyril Roelandt said he has written a Sphinx extension to
> create the WADL for the Ceilometer docs, see
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/45592/. He says "generated by a Sphinx
> extension I wrote (I haven't released it yet, because I need to make it's
> ok with the legal department) from the RST files in Ceilometer."

I've just made the git repository public, you may find it here:

https://github.com/enovance/sphinxcontrib-docbookrestapi

I'm also trying to push it to StackForge:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/53306/

> I do want to make sure solutions between projects are similar so that we
> have a single process for everyone to follow. But the source files may
> differ. Kersten, can you take a look at Cyril's work and see if there's
> similarity? I can't tell where your source comes from -- is it json? How
> does all this fit into the Pecan and WSME discussions on validation?

The Sphinx extension I wrote generates a WADL file, and has already been
used to generate http://api.openstack.org/api-ref-metering.html . It
only works for projects using Pecan/WSME, since it uses
sphinxcontrib-pecanwsme to gather information about the API, but some
parts might be re-used/factorized to work with something else. It is
only a Sphinx Builder, so it's probably just a matter of feeding it data
in the right format.

Cyril Roelandt.