[Openstack-docs] Auto-generating Ceilometer documentation.

Cyril Roelandt cyril.roelandt at enovance.com
Fri Nov 29 18:55:36 UTC 2013

On 11/28/2013 09:33 PM, Anne Gentle wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 28, 2013 at 1:51 PM, Nicholas Chase<nchase at mirantis.com>  wrote:
>
>> I have a little reservation about generating one project differently than
>> the others, from a maintainability perspective.  Not that I'm against
>> automating the documentation, but would it maybe make sense to have the
>> script generate the WADL instead of the docs?  This way if we make changes
>> to the docs themselves we don't have to change the Ceilometer script,
>> because the docs will still be getting the WADL they expect.
>>
>> ----  Nick
>>

> Hi Nick, We recognize that desire for consistency, but this is the type of
> automation we'd like other projects to adopt. This etherpad shows how far
> apart we are across all the projects in API doc consitency. [1] I'd like
> other projects to follow this lead, but know full well that's not
> necessarily going to work for all APIs, especially those with extensions
> that are larger than this API.
>
> Cyril, I think you would build the WADL with the Sphinx extension as a
> Jenkins job, triggered when the Ceilometer gets an update. Then automate
> the patch proposal to the api-site similar to how translation jobs work. A
> human can then review the api-site patch (also similar to how translation
> jobs work). I'd rather not automate beyond creating the patch as we still
> want to review wording, meaning, and so on. I'd also like for Diane to take
> a look when she gets back from this week off.

I'd be willing to either do everything automatically (pushing directly
to api.openstack.org, as Julien suggested) or do as you say, but without
automatically submitting a patch. As a developer, I do not want "git
log" to show me a bunch of "Update of Ceilometer documentation by a
robot" commit logs that will be meaningless. Both options would be fine.

> Thanks for getting it this far - I know you had a lot of steps to cover!

My pleasure.

> Also, one recent addition you'd want to know about is that Andreas is
> starting a new repo to hold doc utilities and tools -- this one might be a
> candidate for inclusion there.

I'll have to take a look at it.

> Also, are you generating docbook in addition to wadl or just wadl? I see
> the code in stackforge has a lot of docbook naming but I don't know if it's
> really generating docbook.

I'm just generating WADL. The thing is, I'm not familiar with
Docbook/WADL/etc. - I think of the files I generate as 'XML' - so I
wrote "docbook" everywhere :/

> Also, does your tool work only with JSON sample requests and responses or
> XML requests and responses also?

It currently adds JSON/XML responses samples. So, if a method returns a
list of 'Alarms', the documentation includes an example of that, in both
JSON and XML. This part of the code has not been pushed to stackforge
yet: I'm waiting to see if the code I generated is good
(https://review.openstack.org/#/c/57342/) before pushing it.

Thanks for your comments !
Cyril.