[Openstack-docs] some minor issues during ops-guide translation on Transifex

Akihiro MOTOKI amotoki at gmail.com
Wed May 8 12:19:23 UTC 2013

Hi Daisy,

2013/5/8 Ying Chun Guo <guoyingc at cn.ibm.com>

> > (2) Transifex cannot handle % character properly
> >
> > Some sentences contains "%" character followed by a space and
> > it seems Transifex recognizes the sequence as a conversion specifier
> > by mistake.
> >
> > For example, "Once you have reproduced the issue (or are 100%
> > confident that this is indeed a valid bug) and have permissions to
> > do so, set:" contains "% c".
> > When translating the sentence, Transifex warns us that there is no
> > "% c" in the translation
> > and we cannot save the translated sentence. Now we insert a dummy
> > word such "%c_dummy" to avoid this issue.
> >
> > Or should we escape % character by %%?
> > By doing it we can avoid the above problem, but AFAIK such escape is
> > not done in other po related tools such as po4a.
> >
> > Any suggestion?
>
> It looks like a bug of Transifex.
> David's solution may work.
> We can change all "%" to "%" while converting to POT file, but it may
> affect
> the readability.
> I see you reported a bug, and somebody suggested to use "completely"
> instead of "100%".
> Can we do the same change in operation guide?

'%' character appears in several places in the operations guide. "100%" is
just an example.
Replacing "80%" or "90%" with other words looks hard to me.
It looks good to convert % to % though the readability may become a
little worse.

By grepping the POT file, I got the following:

msgid "Nagios alerts you with a WARNING when any disk on the compute node
is 80% full and CRITICAL when 90% is full."
msgid "By combining the resources used with the tenant's quota, you can
figure out a usage percentage. For example, if this tenant is using 1
Floating IP out of 10, then they are using 10% of their Floating IP quota.
You can take this procedure and turn it into a formatted report:"
msgid "Once you have reproduced the issue (or are 100% confident that this
is indeed a valid bug) and have permissions to do so, set:"
msgid "All sites are based on Ubuntu 12.04 with KVM as the hypervisor. The
OpenStack version in use is typically the current stable version, with 5 to
10% back ported code from trunk and modifications."
msgid "The CSAIL cloud is currently 64 physical nodes with a total of 768
physical cores and 3,456 GB of RAM. Persistent data storage is largely
outside of the cloud on NFS with cloud resources focused on compute
resources. There are 65 users in 23 projects with typical capacity
utilization nearing 90% we are looking to expand."

Does anyone know where we can report a bug? There is a public discussion
site available on Transifex, but it does not seem to be active...

Akihiro