[Openstack-docs] Volume v Block Storage

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Tue Dec 18 21:07:05 UTC 2012

For the Cinder project, the admin docs currently refer to the Volume
service and the Volume API, with an explanation about the cinder services
replacing the nova-volume service here.[1]

Going forward, should we use "Block Storage" instead of volumes throughout
the admin docs and is there a good reason to keep "volumes" as what the
Managing Volumes chapter [2] describes? What are the differentiators so we
can give guidance on the naming convention going forward?

I ask because the openstack/volume-api repo has a doc patch proposed now
that uses Block Storage throughout, and John Griffth, the Cinder PTL,
prefers that term and also named the project Cinder Block Storage.

I'm fine with Block Storage but then wondered what affect the naming choice
has on the current admin docs.

Input needed, thanks!
Anne

1.