Requirements FFE to return Sphinx to known working version

Erno Kuvaja ekuvaja at redhat.com
Thu Sep 21 16:55:51 UTC 2023

Hi all,

I'm writing to request FFE for
https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/requirements/+/896018
Revert "Bump Sphinx to the latest version" as it broke the gate of at least
following projects:
Aodh
https://zuul.opendev.org/t/openstack/build/5df111c602944396bf6e334e1bec4e42
Solum
https://zuul.opendev.org/t/openstack/build/e4b170cc25f2428caadce8870d27c62e
Mistral
https://zuul.opendev.org/t/openstack/build/a3e00a6312cf46059fa81c56fe9b5e11

Stephen kindly provided monkeypathing for Aodh as alternative
https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/aodh/+/896125 With kind regards
that we shouldn't
revert this breaking patch due to it being breaking via wsme
dependency that is apparently
not really maintained anymore. I'd be easily agreeing with that if
Aodh was the only project
suffering the breakage or using it at all, but the lib is in use for
about dozen openstack
projects and this dependency bump broke the gates for three of them.

Other alternative for this is that wsme would get released (the fix is
merged already) and we
would bump that in the upper constraints. I would personally prefer
any other option than
needing to monkeypatch/vendor the wsme code in the projects long
enough that we can find a
solution to remove it as dependency across.

Thanks for looking into this,

Erno "jokke" Kuvaja