Enquiry

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue Sep 19 16:13:48 UTC 2023

On 2023-09-19 17:55:07 +0200 (+0200), Sven Kieske wrote:
[...]
> e.g. Artem rewrote the current openstack cli client in rust and
> while the current cli in python is really slow for larger clouds,
> it is fast in rust[2]. So there is some work being done, although
> it's very very early days.
>
> the results of the poc where shown at the last public cloud sig
> meeting, which was quite interesting.
[...]

It's worth keeping in mind that any rewrite, even into the same
language, is likely to yield performance improvements. When redoing
an application from scratch you have the opportunity to make
different architectural/design decisions, free yourself from cruft
and historical baggage, and so on. It's hard to say "OpenStackCLI
rewritten in Rust is faster because Rust is faster than Python"
unless the design is architecturally the same (which is also almost
impossible to achieve between different languages anyway). Most of
the current CLI's startup slowness is because of the mechanism it
relies on for finding plugins, and even just redoing that with a
more performant alternative would make a huge difference.

Regardless, that's a cool feat, and like I said focusing on bits in
performance-critical paths which can take advantage of specific
language features makes more sense than blindly rewriting everything
we've got in another language. But also Python is getting better. It
would be cool to try comparing DevStack/Tempest job durations and
resource consumption between 3.8 and 3.11 for example (or 3.12 once
we can).
--
Jeremy Stanley