Enquiry

Dmitry Tantsur dtantsur at protonmail.com
Tue Sep 19 12:32:41 UTC 2023

Hi,

On 9/19/23 14:08, Gk Gk wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Is there any discussion going on among the developers or architects of
> this community to change the coding language from Python to Go in the
> near future by any chance ? Or, are there any such suggestions from the
> community so far,  given the better speed of Go over Python in execution
> times ?

If we're after speed, we need to look at Rust instead (and let the flame
war begin!)

On a serious note, I don't believe any increment in speed will
realistically justify the many years (!) of work to replace the existing
code base exactly.

And many projects won't see much increment of speed at all - namely, all
projects that are mostly bound by external communications. Take Ironic.
It may take well over 10 seconds to issue a power on request via IPMI.
Any win we can make in the surrounding glue code is simply negligible
compared to that.

I know that Swift was looking at Go because of their specific I/O
operation requirements, but that's probably it.

At the same time, OpenStack simply don't have enough people to make that
happen. Nor can we expect the participating companies to spend their
money on that.

Dmitry

P.S.
Just today, I could not compile a medium-sized Go project because my
laptop has "only" 12 GiB of RAM, so the OOM killer kicks in. Talk about
efficiency and performance...