[ptl][tc][winstackers] Final call for Winstackers PTL and maintainers

Ghanshyam Mann gmann at ghanshyammann.com
Mon Sep 11 03:03:23 UTC 2023

 ---- On Fri, 08 Sep 2023 05:19:13 -0700  Takashi Kajinami  wrote ---
 > Let me bump this old thread because we still need some follow-up about the retirement of os-win.
 > I noticed that some projects have not yet deprecated the implementations dependent on os-win.I submitted a few patches to make these implementations deprecated so that we can smoothly remove thesein the future. https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/cinder/+/894237 https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/glance/+/894236 https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/ceilometer/+/894296It'd be nice if the relevant teams can review these.
 >
 > My remaining question is whether we should mark all implementations for Windows support, which are not directlydependent on os-win[1]. Technically we can go through individual projects and add warning logs and release notesabout the deprecation. However I'm not too sure if that's worth the effort. If we can agree that we remove supportfor running OpenStack on Windows Operating System at a specific release, then I tend to leave the ones independentfrom os-win, unless it has any impact on user-facing items like config options[1].
 > I'd like to hear any thoughts about this plan, as well as any target release to remove Windows "host" support globallyfrom OpenStack (maybe after 2024.1 release ?).

Thanks for marking a few of the Windows support things as deprecated. This is the right direction for at least where it
depends on os-win. I have started completing the os-win retirement and deps[1]. But we need to add a deprecation
warning in one cycle and then remove it in a later one (like you are doing in the mentioned changes). We did the
same in the Nova Hyper-V driver, which was marked deprecated in the 2023.1 cycles, and I am proposing it to be
removed in the next cycle, 2024.1[2].

For the Windows feature other than os-win dependencies, it is up to the projects, and if they can still
support and test those without 3rd party CI, then it is okay to keep it. This applies to any other distro-specific
features also where they might be supported by a few projects but not all. But they should go through the
deprecation phase warning even they are not tested so that users get the notification.

[1] https://review.opendev.org/q/+topic:retire-winstackers
[2] https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/nova/+/894466

-gmann