[ptl][tc][winstackers] Final call for Winstackers PTL and maintainers

Takashi Kajinami tkajinam at redhat.com
Fri Sep 8 12:19:13 UTC 2023

Let me bump this old thread because we still need some follow-up about the
retirement of os-win.

I noticed that some projects have not yet deprecated the implementations
dependent on os-win.
I submitted a few patches to make these implementations deprecated so that
we can smoothly remove these
in the future.
 https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/cinder/+/894237
 https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/glance/+/894236
 https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/ceilometer/+/894296
It'd be nice if the relevant teams can review these.

My remaining question is whether we should mark all implementations for
Windows support, which are not directly
dependent on os-win[1]. Technically we can go through individual projects
and add warning logs and release notes
about the deprecation. However I'm not too sure if that's worth the effort.
If we can agree that we remove support
for running OpenStack on Windows Operating System at a specific release,
then I tend to leave the ones independent
from os-win, unless it has any impact on user-facing items like config
options[1].

I'd like to hear any thoughts about this plan, as well as any target
release to remove Windows "host" support globally
from OpenStack (maybe after 2024.1 release ?).

[1] Some examples

https://github.com/openstack/ceilometer/blob/d31d4ed3574a5d19fe4b09ab2c227dba64da170a/ceilometer/cmd/polling.py#L95-L96

https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/nova/virt/disk/api.py#L624-L625

[2] event_log option in oslo.log is one good example
https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/oslo.log/+/894235