[qa][tc] uwsgi is now in maintenance mode. how does this affect us ?

Christian Rohmann christian.rohmann at inovex.de
Wed Feb 22 12:31:04 UTC 2023

On 22/02/2023 07:39, Dmitriy Rabotyagov wrote:
> Well, uwsgi is being also used in real world deployments as of today
> since ppl tend to use in production smth that is tested in a best
> possible way. So if we're switching to smth we should consider needs
> of real deployments as well.
> But yeah, gunicorn looks good to me

It would also be helpful to have somewhat of an agreed "standard" for
running the WSGI components and then a clear move to that within an
OpenStack release or two.
Having some services only work via mod_wsgi, some using uwsgi by default
and others already making a run to gunicorn creates fragmentation.
This worsens with different deployment tooling also keeping configuring
something different than the "new default" for a while.

I now I am getting a little ahead in the discussion of the problem (?),
but I wanted to express my affection to a clearly communicated (also
technically) move to something else.
If this is not a migration / switch, but the introduction of yet another
way of doing things this does not improve the operational quality but
makes bug hunting and maintenance harder.

After all it should be the service, not the runtime people deeply care
about, as long as there is feature parity (e.g. TLS support, interfaces
for monitoring, good structured request logging, ...).
So "enforcing" a different runtime on folks might be less of an issues
than it seems.

Regards

Christian