[heat][tripleo][governance] Governance of os-*-config and future of software deployment feature

Takashi Kajinami tkajinam at redhat.com
Wed Feb 22 05:10:06 UTC 2023

Hello,

tl;dr
Can we move os-(apply|collect|refresh)-config to Heat's governance ?

Currently we have the following three repositories maintained under the
TripleO's governance.
 - os-apply-config
 - os-collect-config
 - os-refresh-config

These three are the agents to run deployment tasks according to
SoftwareDeployment resources[1]
in Heat. Historically the feature was developed to be used by TripleO, and
these agents have been
maintained by the TripleO team. However these repositories will be retired
as TripleO is being retired[2].

Because the feature itself should be still maintained in heat (especially
for stable branches), I'd like
to propose migrating these repositories to Heat's governance.

I noticed the repository does not have any stable branches after
stable/victoria so we likely have to
create stable/wallaby and beyond but I'll leave this topic for follow-up.

[1]
https://docs.openstack.org/heat/latest/template_guide/software_deployment.html#software-deployment-resources
[2]
https://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-discuss/2023-February/032083.html