Issue on Volume Attach/Detach/Delete in openstack

Dmitriy Rabotyagov noonedeadpunk at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 07:44:33 UTC 2023

Hi,

First of all, If you're updating database manually you should not expect
thing to start working properly - manual updates are always made at own
risk and if you're not sure what you're doing they usually mess things up
even more. For example with volume attachments, there are more then one
place that should be changed to mark volume as detached properly, also
including nova databases. So I would suggest using shipped tooling for
tweeting state if that's needed.

Next to it I would assume that the issue might be in one of two things
actually:
1. There is some issue with rabbitmq and agents simply not receiving rpc
messages. It might be queues missing or clustering issue or some
rabbit/erlang bug - I always had troubles debugging this to be frank. But
if all other services have no issues - that's likely not the case.
2. Cinder configuration issue with regards to active/active setup and
clustering. It could be if you have tried to enable active/active and then
disabled it or cinder-volume agent's name have changed as another example.
As I've seen exactly this behavior when we've tried to configure
cinder-volume that was serving NFS backend also provide ceph in
active/standby, but for some reason it didn't worked until we've separated
ceph and configured proper active/active.