Updating copyConditions for Gerrit 3.7

Ian Wienand iwienand at redhat.com
Wed Feb 8 06:13:42 UTC 2023

Hello,

Change [1] modifies our Gerrit ACL files to move from the deprecated
copy conditionals flags.  In simpler terms, these are the flags that
set rules for labels about "+2/-2 votes aren't removed when new
changesets are updated" or "keep votes when a trivial rebase is made".

Projects that have made custom labels (things like "Review-Priority",
"Backport-Candidate", etc.) will have specified these as part of the
label configuration.

There should be no change to the rules applied to labels from this
transition; the old rules have been translated into the new format.
However, a double check is always welcome; if you project uses custom
labels you might like to quickly look at [1].  We plan to merge this
change in a few days.

In going through all projects, I did notice that projects have perhaps
copy-pasted the label/rules and possibly they are not always working
as intended.  If you use custom labels, it might be an idea to just
again double-check the rules are what you want for your project.  The
new format is quite simple; described at [2] -- basically if the query
matches on the new changeset, using standard Gerrit searching rules,
then the votes will be copied forward to the new changeset.

We are aware that Gerrit 3.6 changed the UI for showing custom labels,
and the custom labels are less visible by default.  We have raised
some of the issues upstream [3].  So far there hasn't been a lot of
community engagement with this, but we will keep the discussion going.

It is good to remember that Gerrit does have a quite powerful ability
to make customised dashboards, and we have gerrit-dash-creator (see
samples at [4]) to help as well.

Thanks,

-i

[1] https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/project-config/+/867931