[all][tc] python 3.11 testing plan

Jay Faulkner jay at gr-oss.io
Wed Aug 23 17:47:56 UTC 2023

I think the problem here isn't technical in nature. We're all technical
folks, we can get python running in CI, any version we want. I have no
doubt about that. There's the question as to if OpenDev has the capacity
for this work; but that's not what I want to address here.

It's about prioritization and time management. Any change we make to
increase the matrix -- especially increasing it to include software that is
newer with potentially breaking changes -- has a direct cost in terms of
developer time to troubleshoot, fix, and wait while those fixes merge. This
is the direct trade-off made.

On top of that, we already run a set of periodic jobs on things like
stable/ branches which don't get as much attention as they should.

All this to say, regardless of technical issues, I do not think we have the
capacity to run python versions in test, such as 3.12.

Thanks,
Jay Faulkner
Ironic PTL
TC Vice Chair