Kayobe VLAN & bond configuration

Stig Telfer stig.openstack at telfer.org
Mon Aug 21 17:04:46 UTC 2023

Hi Stefan -

I noticed you have these two definitions:

ext_net_bridge_ports:
  - "bond0.{{ ext_net_vlan }}"

ext_net_vlan: 705

In the first statement, the network interface for ext_net is defined as a linuxbridge, and the second implicitly indicates it is a VLAN device.  This is going to cause some ambiguity in the networking.  Another possible issue could be a loop created by OVS, brmgmt and brbond705 (this may depend on other config).

I'm guessing ext_net is for Neutron external networking, in which case you can drop the ext_net VLAN definition in Kayobe config - you'll need to define it in Neutron instead.  For Kayobe, listing ext_net in external_net_names should be enough to ensure it gets an OVS bridge attached to it.

With the two networks you have defined (mgmt_net and ext_net), the minimal setup would be:

- remove the VLAN definition for ext_net_vlan
- define ext_net as bond0.
- mgmt_net as a VLAN device tapped off bond0, eg "{{ ext_net_interface }}.{{ mgmt_net_vlan }}"

With ext_net listed in external_net_names, this will set Kayobe to attach bond0 as the external OVS port.

Note, we normally configure more logical networks than this.  What do you have for the provision_oc network, for example?

Best wishes,
Stig