Call for Mentors & Projects - Boston University Students

Julia Kreger juliaashleykreger at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 17:28:55 UTC 2023

So, I happened to also get the call for items that Kendall did, and I'm
going to include a more in-depth bit of detail from their original email to
help scope what they are looking for and what their goal is.

I would honestly think of this sort of the same way we approach outreachy,
however these students often already have some background or experience,
and the goal here is to widen their horizons. In the past, Ironic has had
some submissions, and we did have some outreach which occurred where
they asked questions to try and understand our submission.  I think in most
of those cases, the students went in a different direction with another
OpenStack community project, but overall building connections is just as
important as building software in our community, and I encourage projects
to work with Kendall if they have ideas or items which could be beneficial
to the students and possibly the community.

-Julia

--- Start of Boston University's write-up.

Those of you who have participated before can probably skip to the second
part of this email; for those of you who haven’t: Fundamentals of Cloud
Computing is a senior/graduate-level class that includes a semester-long
capstone-like project, with the projects being proposed and supervised by
an industry mentor. The projects are completed in teams of 5-7 students,
who are expected to spend 5-8 hours per week on the project over the
13-week term, with presentations to the class every two weeks to evaluate
their progress. Although some of the students’ time will be spent learning
new technologies, in prior years many teams have achieved significant
results, ranging from nice-to-have tools to (typically open-source) product
enhancements.

We are looking for project proposals for next semester, of a size
appropriate for a team of 5-7 students. The goals of these projects are to:

   - Give students experience in web and/or cloud technologies
   - Give them real experience as part of an agile development team
   - (hopefully) Develop a useful artifact

Projects are typically (but not always) open source, and students will
share significant details of concept and design with instructors and the
class as part of the evaluation process.

Students will rank their choice of project and will be assigned to projects
based on preference and a skills survey. As a result, you should expect a
team which is motivated, has some (hopefully all) of the skills you have
requested, and represents a cross-section of class ability.

The students will have substantial course-based experience; many of the
students will have co-op or prior employment experience, but if so it may
have been as part of a large organization where others specified
architecture and design. As a mentor your goal will be to help translate
their academic knowledge and prior experience to help them elicit
requirements and then design and build a real artifact to solve a real
problem.

Mentors are critical to project success. We will need mentors with the
technical expertise to help guide the students - you should have the skills
(if not the time) that would be needed to complete the project, and be able
to answer technical questions the students ask. (even if the appropriate
response is often to show them where to look for the answer) The typical
time commitment is about 2 hours/week, although often this can be shared
between a technical and non-technical mentor. Meeting times are outside of
class hours and are negotiated with students, and will be done remotely via
Zoom etc.

--- End