[qa][requirements] Tempest Gate blocked for py3.6|7 support

Matthew Thode mthode at mthode.org
Sat May 21 16:23:10 UTC 2022

On 22-05-20 20:13:52, Ghanshyam Mann wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> As we know, in Zed cycle we have dropped the support of py3.6|7 from OpenStack which is why
> projects, lib like oslo started dropping it and made new releases. For example, oslo.log 5.0.0 does not
> support py3.6|7.
>
> Tempest being branchless and still supporting stable/victoria onwards stable branches thought of
> keeping the py36|7 support. But with the oslo dropped py3.6|7 and upper constraint has been updated
> to the oslo lib latest version made Tempest unit py3.6|7 test jobs failed.
>
> - https://bugs.launchpad.net/tempest/+bug/1975036
>
> We have two options here:
>
> 1. requirements repo maintain different constraints for py3.6|7 and py3.8|9 which fix the Tempest py3.6| jobs
> and we can keep the python3.6|7 support in Tempest. Example: oslo.log which fixed the gate[1] but we might
> need to do the same for Tempest's other deps
>  - https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/requirements/+/842820

If we go this route, I think I'd like to have a separate file per python
version.  At that point 'unmaintained' versions of python/constraints
could have their maintanece migrated to another team if needed.  Also,
the targets that are not for the current development cycle should have a
comment stating such at the top of the file.

A problem with this is the sprawl of tests that could be needed.

> 2. Drop the support of py3.6|7 from Tempest
> If the requirement team is not ok with the above solution then we can think of dropping the py3.6|7 support
> from Tempest too. This will stop Tempest to run on py3.6|7 but it will not block Tempest to test the OpenStack
> running on py3.6|7 as that can be done by running the Tempest in virtual env.

One option is to generate th 36/37 constraints and putting the file in
the tempest repo.

--
Matthew Thode