[qa][requirements] Tempest Gate blocked for py3.6|7 support

Ghanshyam Mann gmann at ghanshyammann.com
Sat May 21 01:13:52 UTC 2022

Hello Everyone,

As we know, in Zed cycle we have dropped the support of py3.6|7 from OpenStack which is why
projects, lib like oslo started dropping it and made new releases. For example, oslo.log 5.0.0 does not
support py3.6|7.

Tempest being branchless and still supporting stable/victoria onwards stable branches thought of
keeping the py36|7 support. But with the oslo dropped py3.6|7 and upper constraint has been updated
to the oslo lib latest version made Tempest unit py3.6|7 test jobs failed.

- https://bugs.launchpad.net/tempest/+bug/1975036

We have two options here:

1. requirements repo maintain different constraints for py3.6|7 and py3.8|9 which fix the Tempest py3.6| jobs
and we can keep the python3.6|7 support in Tempest. Example: oslo.log which fixed the gate[1] but we might
need to do the same for Tempest's other deps
 - https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/requirements/+/842820

2. Drop the support of py3.6|7 from Tempest
If the requirement team is not ok with the above solution then we can think of dropping the py3.6|7 support
from Tempest too. This will stop Tempest to run on py3.6|7 but it will not block Tempest to test the OpenStack
running on py3.6|7 as that can be done by running the Tempest in virtual env.

Opinion?

NOTE: Until we figure this out, I have proposed to temporarily stop running py3.6|7 on tempest gate, (especially
to get c9s volume detach failure fix to merged otherwise that will block other projects gate too)

- https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/tempest/+/842821

[1] https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/tempest/+/842819

-gmann