VM instances too slow

Michael Johnson johnsomor at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 15:27:26 UTC 2022

I don't have a direct answer, but something you should check.

On your compute host with a slow VM, do a process list, find the qemu
process for the VM(s) and check the "accel=" setting on the command
line. If it is "accel=tcg" you are running your VMs under software
emulation and they will be slow. You want to see "accel=kvm" on the
qemu processes.

If you have tcg, you need to set up your hosts for kvm. This may
include BIOS settings to enable the hardware virtualization features
of your processor/platform.
Refer to your host operating system documentation for the required
steps to enable KVM.

Michael