R: [Devstack][Gnocchi][Ceilometer] Not able to retrieve metrics using ceilometer and gnocchi

Matthias Runge mrunge at matthias-runge.de
Thu Mar 3 10:59:10 UTC 2022

On 3/3/22 10:29, Molka Gharbaoui wrote:
> Thank you Matthias for your reply.
>
> Unfortunately, from the logs I still cannot understand what is the issue.
>
> Could someone kindly indicate me how ceilometer and gnocchi should be
> configured to get the data?
>
> For example in this link:
> https://docs.openstack.org/ceilometer/latest/install/install-base-ubuntu.html
> <https://docs.openstack.org/ceilometer/latest/install/install-base-ubuntu.html> the
> endpoints should use the following URL: http://controller:8041
> <http://controller:8041> while in my case the 8041 port is not even
> listening and the API indicated in the dashboard for Gnocchi is http://
> <http://controller:8041>x.x.x.x/metric.
>
> Thank you in advance.

OpenStack configuration is complex. The guide does not remotely touch on
production environments. Please do not confuse devstack with production
envionments. Also the doc you linked is not for devstack itself.

The flow in general is: data is generated by the services like nova or
glance. Ceilometer listens on the bus and also polls for information.
The info is sent then over (as configured in publishers.yaml) to gnocchi.
Gnocchi has an api, ceilometer has not. Reading your response, this
makes me suspicious if there is gnocchi running. From the initial
question it suggests it is, from your most recent response, it is not.

Matthias