[designate] How to avoid NXDOMAIN or stale data during cold start of a (new) machine

Michael Johnson johnsomor at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 16:24:19 UTC 2022

The agent based backends use an agent process to interact with the
backend DNS server as opposed to directly talking to them over a
management protocol. I wasn't part of the project when the agent based
BIND9 backend was added, so I don't have the full context of why there
is an agent for BIND9.

I will note that all of the agent based backends are in the "untested"
or "experimental" category:
https://docs.openstack.org/designate/latest/admin/support-matrix.html

Since the agent based drivers don't have many contributors now, I
would expect to see more of them marked deprecated and removed in a
future release.

I would highly recommend you use the native backend if possible.

Michael